Just 75 kilometers east of Wellington, begins your adventure into Wairarapa Country. Start off driving through rolling hills filled with farms and conservation reserves. The air changes as you continue to drive north and east towards the Rimutakas. Feel the atmosphere change as you crest the mountain and descend into olive and wine country.
Stop in Greytown for some window shopping, a cup of coffee, or perhaps a browse through one of the town’s many antique shops. Ready to venture further? Just seven kilometres away you will reach Carterton and Terracotta Lodge & Cottages. From this point forward, it is our mission to help you get the most out of your Wairarapa Country experience …
Some activities close to Terracotta Lodge B&B and Garden Cottages:
- Gladstone Vineyard, Gladstone Rd Carterton, ph 06 379 8563 www.gladstone.co.nz
- Borthwicks Vineyard, 17 Dakins Rd Carterton, ph 06 372 7512
- Fairmont Estate, Gladstone Rd Carterton, ph 06 379 8498
- Loopline, Loopline Rd, Masterton, ph 06 377 7917
- Alana Estate, Puruatanga Rd, Martinborough www.alana.co.nz
- Murdoch James, Dry River Rd, Martinborough www.murdochjames.co.nz
- Palliser Estate, Kitchener St, Martinborough, ph 06 306 9019
- Margrain, Ponatahi Rd, Martinborough, ph 06 306 9202
- Buckhorn Bar & Grill, Memorial Square Carterton, ph 06 379 7972. Relaxed atmosphere legendary for steaks & burritos in the Wairarapa.
- Gladstone Inn, Gladstone Rd Carterton, ph 06372 7866. Known locally as the Gladdy, a typical kiwi country pub. If you want to meet a few locals and chew the cud then this is the place to go, plus they serve really good country food.
- Instanbul, 91 High St Carterton, ph 06 379 7667. Fantastic kebabs & turkish meals.
- Wild Oats, High St Carterton, ph 06 379 5580. Award winning bakery serving homestyle meals. The selection of cakes for the sweet tooth is just awesome.
- Saluté, 83 Main St , Greytown, Ph 06 304 9825. www.salute.greytown.co.nz Contemporary mediterranean cuisine – finalist in Cuisine’s “Best New Zealand Restaurant 2005”.
- Wakelin House, 123 Main St , Greytown, ph 06 304 8869. www.wakelinhouse.co.nz Award winning dining, outstanding wine list, a must for the discerning diner.
- The White Swan, Main St , Greytown, ph 06 304 8894. www.thewhiteswan.co.nz Bar and fine dining, conferences and events.
- Old Winery Cafe, Ponatahi Rd , Martinborough. Unique vineyard location. Indoor, outdoor & cellar dining, it’s your choice.
- Peppers at the Martinborough Hotel, The Square Martinborough, ph 06 306 9350. Bistro bar, fine dining, private functions catered for, open 7 days for lunch and dinner.
- Riverview Cafe, Dry River Rd , Martinborough, ph 06 306 9165. Open for lunch 12.30pm to 3.00pm . An absolute must, just sit back and enjoy an exquisite tasty meal in a stunning environment. Situated on the Murdoch James Vineyard.
- Joxer Dalys Steak & Ale House, 7 Perry St , Masterton ph 06 377 7001. Enjoy the live music and experience stonegrill dining.